Big Data and Deep Learning in Healthcare
BEM APPROVED 10 CPD HOURS
Date: 12 – 16 November 2018
Venue: ASIA PACIFIC UNIVERSITY OF
TECHNOLOGY & INNOVATION (APU),
Jalan Teknologi 5,
Technology Park Malaysia
Bukit Jalil, Kuala Lumpur 57000
Interest in biomedical imaging and healthcare research is growing worldwide. In most universities in Malaysia, there are research groups working in this very interesting and diversified field. Recently, Deep Learning and Big Data, two machine learning fields, have gained considerable attention from academia and IT communities, especially in relation to biomedical imaging and healthcare. This Winter School covers these two important topics and their applications in healthcare, delivered by prominent national and international speakers. This will be a follow up to our first IEEE SPS Winter School on Recent Advances in Biomedical Imaging, which was successfully organized in 2016.
|· Introduction to Deep Learning
· Deep Learning for Image Processing
· Deep Learning in Medical Imaging Applications
· Best Practices for Training and Validating Deep Neural Networks
· Deep Convolutional and Recurrent Neural Networks
· Advances in Deep Learning Architectures
|· Introduction to Big Data
· Big Data Usage and Impacts in Healthcare
· Contextual Barriers to, and Facilitators of, Big Data Usage in Health and Wellness
· Cloud Computing for Big Data– Implementation & Issues
|· Ethics in Healthcare Research
· Writing Good Biomedical Articles
· Meet the Doctors – What Kind of Research Will Really be Useful to Them?
· Poster Session
· Visit to National Cancer Institute
The 5-day program will cover various aspects of the theory and applications in Deep Learning and Big Data, ranging from the introduction and concepts, to convolutional and recurrent neural networks, and advanced architectures. Other relevant topics in healthcare such as impacts, contextual barriers and facilitators of usage will also be discussed. Besides the regular lecture sessions, there will also be hands-on sessions for deep learning, a forum among the speakers and radiologists to discuss particular topics of interest, a session on biomedical research ethics as well as a visit to the National Cancer Institute in the administrative capital of Putrajaya. Poster sessions will be held during lunch time for participants to showcase their current work.
At the end of the School, participants will be exposed to the fundamental and advanced knowledge of Deep Learning and Big Data and their applications in healthcare. Participants would be able to create better solutions and explore greater perspectives in their domains of interest within this growing field of research.
2.0 Outline of Topics
Over the 5 days, there will be 12 lecture/tutorial sessions covering various topics of big data and deep learning in healthcare (including 2 hands-on sessions), and 3 other sessions for forum/meet the doctors, article writing as well as visit to the National Cancer Institute. Posters will be displayed during lunch, and every day participants will take turn to explain their posters.
The list of topics and subtopics for the school can be summarized below:
- Introduction to Deep Learning
- Transfer Learning and Deep Reinforcement Learning
- Deep Convolutional and Recurrent Neural Networks
- Deep Learning in Medical Imaging Applications
- Best Practices for Training and Validating Deep Neural Networks
- Advances in Deep Learning Architectures
- Introduction to Big Data
- Big Data for Bioinformatics and Health Informatics
- Cloud Computing for Big Data– Implementation & Issues
- Big Data Management & Privacy/Security in Medical Applications
- Writing Good Biomedical Imaging Articles
- Ethics in Healthcare Research
- Meet the Healthcare Professional – What Kind of Research Will Really be Useful to Us?
- Poster/Forum Session
- Visit to National Cancer Institute
- Banquet Dinner
The school program is as below :
Forum Session (Friday, 2.30-4.30) Meet the Healthcare Professional- What Kind of Research Will Really be Useful to Us?
- Moderator: Syed Khaleel Ahmed
- Prof. Dr. Ahmad Sobri Muda, (UPM), Speciality: Clinical Radiology/Neuroradiology & Neurointervention
- Prof.Datin Dr. Rozi Mahmud, (UPM), Speciality: Clinical Radiology/Breast Imaging
- Prof.Dr. Chen Ai Hong, (UiTM), Head, Center of Excellence for Research in Optometry & Vision Sciences (iROViS) and the Director, Health & Wellbeing Communities of Research in UiTM
3.0 Key Organizers
Mohammad Faizal Ahmad Fauzi (Multimedia University)
S A Rahman S Abu Bakar (Universiti Teknologi Malaysia)
Vijanth Sagayan Asirvadam (Universiti Teknologi Petronas)
Syed Khaleel Ahmed (Universiti Tenaga Nasional)
Nor’aini Abdul Jalil (Wavesmiles)
Sabira Khatun (Universiti Malaysia Pahang)
Hezerul Abdul Karim (Multimedia University)
Rajasvaran Logeswaran (Asia Pacific University)
Wong Kok Sheik (Monash University Malaysia)
Website and Publicity:
Mohd Norzali Hj Mohd (University Tun Hussein Onn Malaysia)
Recording of Sessions:
Kushsairy Abdul Kadir (Universiti Kuala Lumpur)
Educational Visit and Social Activity:
Norliza Mohd Noor (Universiti Teknologi Malaysia, Kuala Lumpur)
4.0 Venue and Facilities
Venue: Room B-4-5 (Block/Wing B, Level 4), APU Campus@Technology Park Malaysia
GPS Coordinates: 3.056069, 101.700466
Note: Accommodation is not included in the registration fee. Participants can arrange their accommodation by contacting the recommended hostel or nearby hotels directly.
Hotels nearby APU :
Palace of Golden Horses Hotel (5 stars)
Jalan Kuda Emas
Mines Wellness City
43300 Seri Kembangan
Tel: +603 8946 4888
The Boulevard St Giles Premier Hotel (4 stars)
Mid Valley City
Lingkaran Syed Putra
59200 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: +603 2295 8000
Sri Petaling Hotel (3 stars)
30, Jalan Radin Anum
Bandar Baru Sri Petaling
57000 Kuala Lumpur
Tel: +603 9058 2323
Gentle reminder to the Winter School 2018 Participants
Thank you for your interest in IEEE Signal Processing Society Winter School on Big Data and Deep Learning in Healthcare 2018. We look forward to see you all, the school starts at 9am on Monday. Registration begins at 8.30am. Below are some important information that we would like to highlight:
– For those who have completed the registration fee payments, thank you. For those who have yet to complete the payment, appreciate if you could do so by Friday 9 November. If you can’t pay by this deadline, please provide a letter of undertaking for our record.
Direction & Accommodation
– The venue for the school is Room B-4-5 (Level 4, Block B), Asia Pacific University (APU) Campus @ Technology Park Malaysia. Please refer to our website for the direction to the venue (http://sps.ieeemy.org/winter2018)
– If you need accommodation, several nearby hotels are also listed in the website.
– For the hands-on session on Monday and Tuesday afternoon, please bring your own laptop.
– The hands-on session will be using OpenVINO toolkit and Python programming.
– We are still receiving submissions for poster abstract. We plan to have short poster sessions just before lunch for selected days of the school (to be confirmed later). The posters will be displayed for the whole week, but every poster will be assigned a particular session for presentation. This is a good opportunity for you to showcase and discuss your project with your peers, so please grab this opportunity. The poster size is A1.
– Our Wednesday program is a bit different from other days because we will have a visit to the National Cancer Institute (IKN) in the afternoon, and official school dinner in the evening.
– We have chartered a bus to take us from APU to IKN at about 1.15pm. The visit at IKN is scheduled from 2 to 5pm. After the visit, the bus will take us straight to the dinner at Putrajaya International Convention Center (PICC).
– Good news! The school has been approved for 10 CPD hours by the Board of Engineers Malaysia (BEM).